Should Christians celebrate Halloween? What do kids really fear on Halloween night?
Razor blades in the lollipops, right?
What frightens adults more than that?
People who don’t celebrate Halloween
That’s what you might think when you tell someone you don’t celebrate Halloween.
I grew up trick-or-treating. But for now, I choose not to celebrate this holiday. It’s worth Googling: Samhain, All Saint’s Day, All Soul’s Day, Reformation Day. Some are celebrating a dark season, others are celebrating departed Saints.
Some people spend most the year trying to focus on light and life. They might just not feel like going on a one-night bender of darkness and death.
Below you’ll find some resources which provide some context for why people do, or do not celebrate Halloween.
Holidays are more than just an occasion to redecorate the house. There is history behind holidays. Some holidays are easy to celebrate with a joyful heart. Others holidays require some to refrain according to their conscience.
(Apparently not everyone on the internet is fond of Columbus Day . . .)
I know, I know. Halloween has nothing to do with Samhain, or Celtic pagan rituals, or human sacrifice today. It’s about dressing up your little girl like an angel with long flowing robes, and watching your boy “fly” down the street like Superman.
But the frights of the future will be your daughter’s outfit and the eerie lack of toilet paper in your house.
If that’s no different from any other day, then you probably have bigger issues than Halloween.
Should Christians celebrate Halloween? Read enough articles and you’ll find the standard answer:
As always, Romans 14:13 applies:
“Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.” (NIV)
- If you want to mock the devil, demons, and death by participating, you can find support for that.
- If you stay away from Halloween because of personal issues with the occult, then you will find support for that.
- If you just want to dress up your kids and hand out candy, you should be free from condemnation.
Below is a list of resources on both sides of the issue:
- Halloween: Harmless or Harmful?
- Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? (Christian Broadcasting Network)
- Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? (Billy Graham Evangelistic Association)
- 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Celebrate Halloween
- Where Did Halloween Come From? Can A Christian Celebrate It? (CARM)
- Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? Pastors Discuss Scripture and How to Use the Day for Good (Christian Post)
- Should Christians Celebrate Halloween? (Washington Post)
- Matters of Opinion: Hallowing Halloween (Christianity Today)
- Halloween and the Fascination with Fear (Christian Apologetics Alliance)
- Holiday Hysteria: A Christian Defense of Halloween
- A Christian Look at Halloween – From an Ex Halloween Junkie
- Halloween History and the Bible (AIG)
- Satan’s Birthday: A Brief Discussion on Halloween and Christianity (Huffington Post)
P.S. You want to know what’s REALLY scary? I’m launching my first book, and it’s coming right after Halloween!
By the way, I’m giving it away FREE.
And you can get the Audiobook FREE.
And you have a chance at $50 just for a single share on social media.
Find out about all these offers at www.OneoftheFewBook.com
Photo Credit: Heather Myers / CC BY ND 3.0